Welcome to the US Congress Game Show: Deal or No Deal? The show where members of Congress get to second guess every potential solution to every problem. And , no matter how good the deal, they can try to squelch it.
Today’s deal is the Iran Nuclear Energy Agreement. Negotiated by the USA, Iran, Russia, France, Germany, China and the EU nations . Approved by the international community. Hailed as an achievement by all involved. They said it couldn’t be done…but they did it.
Now to our contestants. Any Republican in Congress. Doesn’t matter which one. They all think the same. Let’s call him Congressman Whitey White from anywhere outside of any urban area in any state.
Congressman White, here are some of the aspects of the deal.
1. Iran must be open 24/7 to inspections at all sites.
2. All of Iran’s plutonium and nuclear material will be monitored and accounted for by international inspectors (International Atomic Energy Agency) on a regular basis.
3. Iran cannot develop the weapons grade materials for their reactors, again being monitored by international inspectors.
4. Iran must give up over 2/3 of its centrifuges which can be used to develop high grade plutonium. Which means they would lack the capacity, even if they could somehow cheat, to make any significant amount of weapons grade material for many years.
5. After the IAEA inspects and verifies that Iran is in compliance (which will take some months) only then will Iran’s assets be unfrozen. Those assets belong to Iran and are currently frozen, they are not US taxpayer dollars.
That’s the deal, Congressman. Now, if you do not take the deal there are the conditions.
1. Iran will be completely unmonitored as to its atomic energy program and facilities.
2. Both the UN and the European Union have already began mechanisms for lifting sanctions on Iran whether or not the US follows suit. So, trade with Iran will likely begin.
3. Iran will deal their oil on the black market. Perhaps turning to China or Russia for support.
So Congressman White. What is it? Deal or No Deal?
Congressman White: NO DEAL, Barack. No deal. Bad deal. Can’t trust them. Bad people. Terrorists. Just like Obamacare. Dictator. Make him fail. Giving tax dollars to terrorists. Bibi says “no”. Bomb them back to the dark ages. We will be welcomed as liberators. Two week war. NO DEAL. NO DEAL!
Next up: Can the GOP Congress do anything to gain respect for themselves?