The GOP is mad because the moderators of the last debate asked “gotcha” questions. Of course, the Fox moderators did the same thing but they were not criticized (except for The Donald, but then he criticizes everything so it doesn’t count). Of course, similar questions, devoid of substance, were asked at the Dem debate. The difference? The Dems, for the most part, refused to be drawn into squabbles .
Bu what if they WERE asked real questions. Not political questions, but questions that any high school grad should be able to answer or at least have an opinion about? Wouldn’t that be a joy to behold.
Here are some questions I would like to see them ask ALL the candidates from both parties.
Each candidate has 5 minutes to give a fairly thorough, though limited, response.
- Explain the theory of evolution and whether you think it explains the diversity of life on Earth.
- Should the Bible, Quran, Mahabharata or any religious text be used as a governing tool?
- Is it more important to spend money on the military or on social programs?
- What is your position on the Affordable Care Act? If you oppose it what would you replace it with or how would you improve it?
- Is climate change real or a hoax? Can you cite any data to back up your position?
- Under what circumstances should the US send troops into a war? Be specific. The vague statement “our interests are threatened” is not acceptable. Give some concrete examples.
- Will you support a law that makes it mandatory for all federal elected officials to move all their investments from the private sector into government bonds while they are in office?
- Since the primary purpose of government is to keep its citizens safe, what would you do to make sure that every child in America can play in their own front yard without fear of being killed by gang warfare?
- Discuss why we have so many illegal immigrants and explain your short and long term solution to the problem.
- The US incarcerates more people than any western nation. By far. Are Americans inherently a lawless people or is there something wrong with the legal and criminal justice systems?
No questions like: You are now 7th in the polls, why don’t you drop out of the race? Or: Some people say that your uncle on your mother’s side was a drug addict. Do you love illegal drugs? Or: Please use one word to describe all the personality characteristics of all your opponents. Etc.
Wouldn’t it be nice to know what these people are actually thinking? If they are capable of thinking? And perhaps give honest answers that are not memorized 20 second soundbites?
It might be fun to watch. It might be enlightening. It might be painful. But wouldn’t we learn something very important about each of them?